Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Enjoy summer, sun, beach – and enjoy your favorite sound while having fun outdoors! Battery-powered Bluetooth speakers make it possible. They are child’s play to operate: Define a setlist on your smartphone or tablet, connect to the loudspeaker, and start. The optimal continuous sound is already running. Some of the portable devices are so powerful that they can be as good as a wired system in your ears. The cheapest makes do not even cost 100 euros. But the choice is huge. And it is getting bigger every day. You can quickly lose track of things. Especially when it comes to outdoor speakers.
1. JBL Charge 5
- Bass for on the go: The JBL Box combines two pumping JBL bass radiators, a separate tweeter and a long-throw driver – first-class sound for the party, at home or outdoors
- Need power? 7,500 mAh battery capacity for up to 20 hours of wireless streaming – thanks to the integrated power bank, mobile phones or tablets can even be charged while listening to music
- Portable Bluetooth speaker for every occasion – the mobile soundbox is perfect for a trip to the swimming pool or the beach: water? No problem for the robust Charge 5!
“Charge 5” from “JBL” is the successor model to “Charge 4”, which has won top positions in independent tests in recent years. The “Charge 5” is now even more popular. Because JBL has significantly improved the sound quality. It can hardly be topped. Thanks to the 30 watt power, the bass radiator and the separate tweeter as well as the great driver, the highs sound like polished, the bass is full. Overall, the “JBL Charge 5” offers an astonishingly balanced sound. It is particularly impressive when you compare it with other devices of the same size (37.4 by 86.6 by 36.6 centimeters) which, like the “Charge 5”, weigh just under a kilogram.
The device is dustproof and very well protected against water (IP67). It also has an integrated power bank, stereo sound and party mode. A smartphone can be charged via a 2A connection. The control elements are integrated into the housing on the top. One battery charge lasts up to 20 hours. The charging time is four hours and is therefore on the average. Another plus point: the device is available in nine different colors. And the elongated round design is visually appealing despite the robust housing. The “JBL Charge 5” has also been given a practical stand. Shortcomings: Due to its size, the “JBL Charge 5” does not fit in every backpack. Annoying. Because a protective cover with a shoulder strap has to be bought additionally.
|+ Powerful, bass-heavy, bright sound signature||– The app lacks EQ settings|
|+ Gets noisy for its relatively compact size||– No speakerphone|
|+ Fully waterproof design|
|+ USB-A connection for charging mobile devices|
2. Anker SoundCore 3
- AUDIO DRIVER UPGRADE: The brand new Soundcore 3 Bluetooth speaker has dual audio drivers with diaphragms made of 100% titanium and guarantee crystal clear highs of up to 40kHz and reduced distortion.
- POWERFUL BASS: Ankers BassUp technology in combination with dual passive radiators cover scales even in the low range in detail and over a wide area. The result: deep, intense boom effect for your favorite music!
- 16W STEREO SOUND: The advanced stereo sound provides immersive all-round sound that is impressive both at home and outdoors.
When it comes to the price-performance ratio, nobody beats the “SoundCore 3” from “Anker”. For a very affordable price, the outdoor Bluetooth speaker offers a battery life of 24 hours. The loudspeaker can continue to be used while charging (three hours from 0 to 100). The bass delivers a decent amount of depth. And without sounding overdriven. This is due to two six-watt drivers and the “bass-up” technology. In return, the heights of the “SoundCore 3” are a bit thin. The stereo sound (12 watts), free of background noise, is consistent in itself. And that with a Bluetooth range of 20 meters.
The housing is encased in non-slip rubber. The AUX connection and the micro USB socket are protected by a rubber flap. The Anker SoundCore 3 has recently been rated with an IPX7 and is therefore waterproof. But watch out: older editions only have IPX5 protection! The manufacturer is silent about the dust density. The design as a simple, elongated rectangle with no frills favors the handiness of the 16cm by 5cm by 5cm model. Another advantage: The “Anker SoundCore 3” weighs just under 370 grams and is therefore absolutely suitable for a backpack. Carrying bag / strap would have to be bought in addition.
|+ IPX7 rating for water resistance||– Loudspeaker does not get very loud|
|+ Amazingly handy||– Some compression artifacts at maximum volume|
|+ Can play stereo content||– Few functions in the mobile app|
|+ Battery life||– Audio jack removed|
3. Ultimate Ears Megaboom 3
- Sound fidelity at any volume: The mobile loudspeaker ensures really loud, clear and room-filling 360 ° sound with rich, powerful bass that you can feel
- With just one step to music: The brand new MEGABOOM 3 Magic button allows you to play, pause and skip songs directly on the speaker
- Style meets performance: the two-tone design of the Bluetooth speaker looks great and is also hard-wearing
The “Megaboom 3” from “Ultimate Ears” (UE) is a small power package. A maximum volume of 90 decibels has to be generated with a length of only around 18 centimeters and a weight of 925 grams. The mids remain clear, the highs complement the impeccable sound image – if the bass doesn’t occasionally lack bite. Unfortunately, this can happen in hip-hop pieces with this model. However, the 360-degree sound makes up for it a lot.
The device is dust-resistant and with a rating of IP67 even floats. Should it accidentally fall into the water, it will float on the surface and can be easily fished out of the water. In addition, there is drop resistance and a one-touch music control. With a button on the speaker you can stop and skip songs. The battery life of 20 hours is in the upper midfield. The “Megaboom 3” is available in four colors. Its slim design in the form of a mini roll with the signs “+” and “-” on the front looks chic. Disadvantages: For wireless charging you have to buy a “Power Up” charging station. Likewise, a bag with a shoulder strap. If you buy everything together, you quickly reach the 200 euro limit.
|+ Loud, powerful, solid sound||– Could sound a little clearer in the midrange|
|+ Excellent, sturdy and portable design||– Charging station not included|
|+ Easy to use||– No wired connection|
|+ Best-in-class battery life||– May stumble with intense deep bass|
|+ Gets incredibly loud|
4. Dockin D Fine
- ▶ ️CHIP TEST WINNER: “There is oomph in it” – The DOCKIN D FINE convinced in the test with strong bass, clear highs and excellent and balanced stereo sound. This is ensured by a 2-way system consisting of two tweeters and two mid-range speakers & 4 active drivers that deliver a total of 50 watts of sound power.
- ▶ SIMPLY THE BEST – FOR EVERY MUSIC TASTE: It doesn’t matter whether it’s electro, rock or classic – the Bluetooth speaker reproduces every genre naturally and in a balanced way. The portable speaker also plays radio plays for children and radio excellently. A better sound is currently hard to find among sound boxes in this price range.
- ▶ SIMPLE CONNECTION WITH ALL DEVICES: At the push of a button, mobile phones, smartphones, Amazon Echo / Alexa, tablet & Co. can be connected to the Bluetooth box via Bluetooth 4.0 or NFC. Alternatively, the loudspeaker can be supplied with music (e.g. from a PC) via an AUX cable
With their “D Fine”, “Dockin” has produced a sustainably appealing device. A two-way system consisting of two tweeters and two mid-range speakers as well as four active drivers can be found in the around 10 by 28 by 9 centimeters and almost two kilograms heavy sound system. Result: a great sound image. The strengths of the “Dockin D Fine” sound are particularly audible in the bass. They convince with a bold presence. Unfortunately, they sometimes displace the mids when the volume is more intense. But at a price of just over 100 euros, one likes to ignore it.
Furthermore, the battery is fully charged in just three hours after a running time of almost 15 hours. The USB port also serves as a power bank. Disadvantages: There are no devices for DLNA, WLAN or AirPlay. In addition, the control buttons are not fully embedded in the housing. This makes them prone to damage when stowed away. The design is boring.
|+ Great sound||– No WiFi and AirPlay|
|+ Good battery life||– Relatively difficult|
|+ Can be used as a power bank|
|+ Integrated sound profiles|
5. Sony SRS XB13
- Enjoy powerful surround sound, deep, rich bass and clear vocals, thanks to the processor for sound distribution with extra bass, broadband speakers and passive radiator.
- Take it with you everywhere! This portable speaker is waterproof and dustproof (IP67). It is even protected from UV rays. With a battery life of up to 16 hours and a battery life indicator on your smartphone, you don’t have to worry about the music suddenly stopping.
- The SRS-XB13 is compact, light and easy to transport. It has a convenient, detachable strap that you can use to carry or hang your wireless speaker wherever you want. It is available in 6 great colors.
The manufacturer legend “Sony” makes us happy with the “SRS XB13”, which weighs only 350 grams. The “Knutschkugel” (around 7 by 7 by 9 centimeters “large”) has a volume of up to 80 decibels! It is better not to listen so closely to the sound. If you want it to be louder, bass, mids and highs can still be recognized. But nothing more. But who complains about such a cheap one?
16 hours is also an amazingly long battery life. There is also a hands-free function for calls via Bluetooth. In addition, several loudspeakers of the same model can be connected to one another, so that louder music can also be produced in better quality.
Design: not ugly, but undemanding. Therefor available in six colors. It is waterproof and dustproof (IP67) and the removable shoulder strap is also included! The ideal device for the backpack and smaller celebrations with background music.
|+ Impressively powerful audio for the size||– May get near distortion in some deep bass|
|+ Waterproof||– The speakerphone microphone is not very clear|
|+ Affordable||– No advanced functions such as voice assistant|
|+ 16 hours of battery life|
|+ Waterproof and dustproof|
|+ Stereo pairing possible|
6. JBL Xtreme 3
- A whole new bass experience: four drivers and two JBL bass radiators deliver a dynamic sound with deep bass – at home in the living room, outside and at every party.
- Thanks to the powerful battery, you can enjoy music for up to 15 hours and with the PartyBoost, the box can be coupled with two PartyBoost compatible JBL speakers
- Ready for any outrage: the dream of lying on the beach or pool with the sound box is finally coming true – the JBL is waterproof and can even withstand immersion in water without any problems.
This JBL model impresses above all with its sound. The sound is powerful thanks to four drivers and two bass radiators, deep basses are present at any volume (36.6 watts of power), fluctuations in quality almost never occur. The battery lasts 15 hours and only takes 2.5 hours to charge. A power bank is also integrated into the cylindrical housing, as is a bottle opener. The IP67 rating leaves nothing to be desired in terms of water and dust resistance. Up to two devices can be connected to the device for streaming at the same time. The new design in the camouflage edition around the small sound roll is special: a cool unique selling point of the “JBL Xtreme 3”. It is also available in black and blue. The shoulder strap has been thought of! Disadvantages: There is no aptX support. At well over 200 euros, the device is relatively expensive. And contrary to the manufacturer’s information, the JBL Xtreme still weighs two kilos. Furthermore, at just under 29 by 13 by 13 centimeters, it is not suitable for every backpack.
|+ Powerful, bass-driven sound with four drivers and two passive radiators||– Expensive|
|+ Waterproof construction for outdoor use||– No hands-free function|
|+ Can be paired with multiple JBL speakers||– Compression artifacts at maximum volume|
7. ION Audio Party Rocker Max
- Dynamic, powerful sound – powerful 8-inch woofer and tweeter with a wide beam angle deliver lifelike sound, 100 watts of dynamic power ensures the right volume
- Bluetooth streaming made easy – Seamless music streaming with Easy-Pair from any Bluetooth-enabled player
- Fascinating lightshow – light dome and LED grids shine patterns in six strong colors in time with the music: red, green, blue, magenta, orange, white
The square “disco ball” from “Ion” enables a six-hour dance hall feeling in the open air. For just under 250 euros, there are six-color light effects in time with music. They flicker from an amplifier-like system measuring around 27 by 38 by 51 centimeters. It also has a woofer and tweeter with a wide beam angle and delivers an acceptable party sound with 100 watts. For just under 250 euros, you can also get streaming facilitation through “Easy-Pair”. A microphone is included. It should be used for karaoke, which is amplified with an echo effect. Cons: The speaker weighs over 12 kilos. The outdoor loudspeaker is not dust and waterproof. In addition, the lighting effects are energy guzzlers: the battery lasts 75 hours if only music is streamed.
|+ Karaoke possible|
|+ Good sound (100 watts)|
|+ Good battery life|
|+ Great light show|
8. Bang & Olufsen Beosound A1 (2nd generation)
- POWERFUL SOUND: A small, elegant loudspeaker with 2×140 watts tip – for Bang & Olufsen Signature Sound wherever you need it.
- WATERPROOF SPEAKER: With this robust, long-lasting speaker, your favorite music can be accommodated anywhere. On the go, at home or by the pool.
- LISTEN LONGER: The improved battery performance enables 18 hours of playback at a higher volume – and even more at a lower volume.
The “Beosund A1” from “Bang & Olufsen” is now available in the “2nd generation” with some improvements: The battery lasts up to 18 hours, voice control for Amazon and Alexa is integrated. Thanks to the IP67 rating, you can now rely on dust and water tightness. There is also a longer leather loop attached to the device for transport and hanging. With a diameter of 13 centimeters, a height of 46 millimeters and a weight of only 558 grams, the “Beosound A1” looks like a powder compact. Don’t underestimate it: the sound is surprisingly solid. Especially the bass, which never roars tinny from under the aluminum cap. The little miracle sound can even reach 140 watts at its peak.
Disadvantages: The headphone jack is missing. There’s still no Wi-Fi or AirPlay, and I can’t pair with an A1. At just under 200 euros, the device is also relatively expensive.
|+ Extensive sound, powerful bass||– Extremely expensive|
|+ Competent Alexa integration||– Buttons are hard to find|
|+ Impressive construction and workmanship||– No audio connection|
|+ Decent app with EQ|
|+ Good battery life|
9. Ultimate Ears Wonderboom 2
- Extremely rich 360 ° sound: Ultimate Ears WONDERBOOM 2 is a wireless Bluetooth speaker with extremely rich 360 ° sound and extra bass
- New outdoor mode: by pressing the outdoor boost button on the mobile bluetooth speaker, volume and clarity can be adjusted for better sound outdoors
- 13-hour battery life: The 13-hour battery life ensures awesome sound for all-day trips, beach excursions and bike tours
The Ultimate Ears Wonderboom 2 is the best waterproof Bluetooth speaker with a floatable design that we are proud to present to you in our list of the best Bluetooth speakers for on the go. Its small and light design makes it wonderfully portable. It even comes with a shoulder strap so you can carry it around with you on the go. It is exceptionally well built, is dust and waterproof according to IP67.
The 360 ° design ensures a fantastic sound image so that you can immerse yourself in the music from all angles. Its sound profile is pretty balanced. However, like most small speakers, it struggles with deep bass reproduction, which could disappoint fans of bass-heavy music like hip-hop or EDM. However, you can set the EQ to “outdoor mode”, which leads to more bass. In addition, the speaker can connect to two devices at the same time via Bluetooth, which makes it ideal for listeners who want to switch quickly between different audio sources.
Unfortunately, the Ultimate Ears Wonderboom 2 does not support voice assistants, which could disappoint some listeners. The speaker is also limited in volume, which makes it not very suitable for large parties. On the other hand, there are only a few compression artifacts at maximum volume, which ensures that your audio signals sound clean even at higher volumes.
|+ Powerful bass||– No Alexa or Google Assistant|
|+ Long battery life||– Restricted sound stage|
|+ Outdoor sound mode||– No speakerphone|
|+ Stereo function||– Distortion increases with volume|
|+ IP67 dustproof / waterproof||– microUSB charging|
|+ Relatively inexpensive|
10. JBL Flip 5
- First-class sound, better than ever: The powerful speaker box impresses with the completely new racetrack-like speaker chassis and pampers your ears with booming bass
- Tired of listening to music at home alone? Thanks to the built-in rechargeable battery with a capacity of 4,800 mAh, the jukebox can be taken anywhere and offers music enjoyment anytime, anywhere
- The housing of the Flip 5 Bluetooth speaker is waterproof thanks to the IPX7 design and can even withstand water depths of up to 2 meters – so let’s go to the pool party and into the cool water
With the Flip5 portable speaker from JBL, you can listen to your music on the go and have more fun in the fresh air. This is a great speaker that comes with excellent features that you will fall in love with instantly. The speaker promises over 12 hours of playtime, thanks to the powerful, built-in 4800mAh lithium battery.
The speaker comes in a lightweight design, which makes mobility very easy. The housing is made of durable textile material and sturdy rubber. Thanks to the waterproof housing and the IPX7 waterproof rating, you can move freely with this speaker in any weather. The Flip 5 survives in a water depth of up to three meters. So you can confidently use it on the beach or at your pool party.
You can easily couple it with other speakers with the JBL Party Boost to amplify your stereo sound or to make your party livelier. You can also adjust the volume and switch between songs when you are not near your smartphone. In addition to the Bluetooth connection, you can also connect this speaker via the 3.5 mm aux input and still enjoy the first-class sound quality for which JBL is known. You can also enjoy excellent bass quality. The outdoor speaker has a 44 mm driver and an output power of 20 W.
The Flip 5 is a great and portable outdoor bluetooth speaker that you are sure to love.
|+ Solid bass||– No aux input or microphone|
|+ PartyBoost stereo pairing||– Not Connect + compatible|
|+ Waterproof according to IPX7||– Simple app|
|+ Lightweight and portable||– Sound quality is good for a hike or the beach, but not great|
|+ Battery life|
|+ USB-C fast charging|
Bestsellers: The most popular Bluetooth speakers for on the go
Here you will find a daily updated bestseller list.
What are the most popular outdoor bluetooth speakers people buy? Popular products are usually also a good recommendation. After all, verified purchases are very credible and represent a relevant demand for the most popular Bluetooth speakers on Amazon.
Which speakers are the best for on the go?
Every potential buyer should first answer a few questions for himself. It is important to clarify: What do I want to use the Bluetooth speaker for? Where do I want to take it? How can I transport it? Do I care about the design or is the sound quality the only thing that matters to me? How loud does the performance have to be? What is the minimum battery life? Do I need the latest model? Only those who know their needs exactly will discover the best device for themselves. However, there are a few standards that everyone should look out for.
Which size is the right size for an outdoor Bluetooth speaker?
From the mini sphere with a diameter of just under ten centimeters to the size of a car radiator, everything is on the market. In general, larger devices perform better, especially in terms of sound quality. This is because the mini editions often have drivers that are too small. A good stereo sound is hardly feasible there. On the other hand, the more compact, more powerful Bluetooth speakers are relatively heavy. So not all Bluetooth speakers are suitable for the backpack. In principle, larger models are also more expensive, sometimes even considerably.
How long does the battery last?
The battery life depends on the volume you prefer. The louder the device, the more the battery is used. An integrated flashlight or LED lights also reduce battery consumption. On average, however, the speaker batteries provide between ten and 20 hours of listening pleasure. Attention: If you connect your Bluetooth speaker to your smartphone or tablet via the 3.5 millimeter jack connection, you have the more energy-efficient version compared to Bluetooth! Almost all devices are charged using the supplied micro-USB cable with the associated power supply unit. On the go, you can also supply the speakers with “juice” via a power bank or other mobile devices.
Why should I look at IP ratings?
It is not uncommon for a short trip to the lake, the park or the stand. For this reason alone, it is advisable to observe the IP rating. This rating from an independent company and provides information on the dust and water resistance of the device. Each IP rating initially consists of a two-digit number and a number. The first digit indicates the extent to which the product is protected against dust, while the second digit evaluates the protection against liquids. The range of values for dust extends from zero (no protection) to six (dustproof), and that for liquids from zero to eight (waterproof and immersible for a longer period of time). The highest IP rating for a dust- and waterproof product is “IP68”. If the evaluation is marked with an “X”, the manufacturer has not had its product tested in this area. Example: “IPX6” has an acceptable waterproof rating, but the dust protection has not been tested.
What extras can the bluetooth speakers offer?
The services of Siri, Alexa or the Google Assistant can be called up by voice command over many speakers. Some models also have built-in flashlights, LED lighting or integrated power bank functions. The latter can be used, for example, to charge smartphones. In addition, some manufacturers offer attachment devices (such as mounts for bicycles or transport straps) as well as action camera equipment, outdoor listening modes and sometimes even integrated bottle openers. Most of the time, stereo separation is possible by combining two loudspeakers to form a stereo system. In addition, hands-free kits are widely used in Bluetooth speakers. And some musicians even optimize their guitar sound with a bluetooth speaker.
Are there other types of connections besides Bluetooth?
Until recently, it was customary for the Bluetooth speaker to be equipped with an “AUX-in”. This is an audio input for playback devices that can be connected to the Bluetooth speaker with a cable, for example CD players, notebooks or projectors. If you want to save the battery, you can also connect your mobile phone or tablet to the loudspeaker via the headphone output. This extends the playing time. Because the energy-guzzling Bluetooth module then switches off automatically. Unfortunately, more and more manufacturers are doing without an “AUX-in”
However, there are also models that can be connected to a LAN network or made operable using an app. Streaming services such as “Spotify” are often integrated into the loudspeakers so that a connection via W-LAN is possible. Or you can use Wi-Fi Direct to establish a WLAN connection between the music player and the loudspeaker. There are also devices with an integrated Chromecast function. This allows music from Android devices to be transferred in the best sound quality.
What role does processing play?
During transport or outdoors, loudspeakers are not immune to damage from impacts, for example. Therefore, regardless of the size, you should attach importance to a robust housing. Heads and switches must not protrude from the device so that they cannot be accidentally broken off or pressed in.
How much should you spend on an outdoor speaker?
There are plenty of solid sounding outdoor speakers available for $ 150 or less. At the higher end of this price range, you get relatively good bass response, and the speaker is usually able to carry stereo audio. At the lower end of that price range, you’ll usually find smaller speakers, often mono, and few of them have good bass response.
Under, say, $ 50, you’re flirting with options that may not sound much (or not) better than your mobile phone itself. And if you’re willing to spend more than $ 150, there are tons of tempting options out there, including also offers from luxury brands.
Disclosure: Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.